Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mother's Day card the 2nd

Sorry for such a long break between posts. I've had a bit of a cold and sinus headaches, and then my camera software was playing up and I didn't get beyond thinking of just posting a message without something for you to look at. Anyway, here's the card I made for my Mum for Mother's Day:The hearts were created using a Heidi Swapp mask set that I won at Scrapbooking Divas a while back. As soon as I saw them I had this basic idea... it just took me an awfully long time to put it into action! I started by stamping the Stampin' Up! Floral background on Very Vanilla cardstock using VersaMark. I then put the masks over this and dusted pastels on them using daubers. Over the top of this I stamped "MUM" using the EK/Image Tree Loopy uppercase alphabet using VersaFine Imperial Purple ink. These stamps were actually the driving force behind the card. In talking to my Mum about my first published projects she asked about the butterfly I had used that was from this alpha set (well, the upper or lower, can't remember now). My Mum stamps too and was after another alpha set in a size between what she had, so I decided the best way to show her the size of them was to use them on a card for her! Unfortunately, this was pretty much the state the card sat in for a week because I just couldn't decide on what to do to finish it off. I scanned what I had and emailed it to my sister and mentioned the few ideas I had and she replied "even a strip of lace along the bottom would be too much". And once again I went to bed without the card progressing any further: every idea seemed to throw the card off balance. When I woke up the next morning it suddenly hit me: yes, a strip of lace would be too much, but a little bow of it in the corner would be perfect. Thus, finally, what looks like a simple card was finished days (and many canned ideas) later!

I should point out that the previous card I uploaded was made by me, but using my daughters design. She'd particuarly struggle with cutting out the butterflies, I think largely because she is left handed. Will have to pluck up the courage to let her use my paper snips and see if that makes it any easier for her.

No comments: