Monday, October 26, 2015

Lighthearted Birthday

While I think there are a lot of fantastic sets in the Stampin' Up! Holiday catalogue, one of the more popular ones seems to be the Lighthearted Leaves set. I'm not immune to it's charms either!
For this card I didn't colour in the leaves, or cut them out with the coordinating Leaflets Framelits dies. I chose to just randomly stamp the various leaves in in Basic Gray for the card base, and for the feature panel I used a mix of Old Olive, Lost Lagoon... and Cajun Craze. I love playing with all colours, but Cajun Craze is probably my least favourite Stampin' Up! colour. I've tried using it before but really wasn't happy with the end result. This time I was much happier, and that was even before I put vellum over it! Sometimes what makes or breaks a colour combination is how you balance the colours: how much you use of the colours and where you put them. Using a lot of white is one trick to try if you aren't sure of a combination, but for this card I was determined to give Cajun Craze a fair showing. Unfortunately the background was a little busy and made reading the "happy" difficult, so I softed things with the layer of vellum. I didn't have a current set with "birthday" in a font or size that really worked with everything else, so I went back to the trusty Basic Phrases for that one.

Here's the graphic for the colour combo:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

No comments: