Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cinema Saturday #14 part 4

This is my card for Strider/Aragorn, the third member of the Fellowship. I combined elements from his two identities, the rugged Strider for the top layers (which I heavily distressed the edges on, I also scrunched up the top Gray layer a few times after stamping on it) and "belt" and the black layer is based on his "Council Velvets", the clothing he wore to the Council at Rivendell. I did some planning for the background but in practise it didn't come out so well, I rarely used the Stamp-a-ma-jig and it shows. Oh well! I kept this pretty simple because other than the brief talk at the Council about how he is the rightful King he is Strider in character. I'm sure there are a few people who think that Handsom Hunter is a fitting cardstock for Aragorn in name alone, but I have included it for the handle of his sword and the emerald in his ring.

To get the belt buckle I had to attack a buckle from the Pewter Hodgepodge set. My humble jewellery wire cutters made a dent in the metal but did nothing for cutting the back end of the buckle off. Thankfully I have my parents visiting and Dad happened to have something a bit heftier that did the trick (I know we will have heavier duty wire cutters somewhere in the garage... but organisation is not a strong point out there!).

The quote is reminscent of something Gandalf says to Frodo while pausing in Moria, but I think it is very apt for Aragorn considering his heritage, the life he has lead to date and the state of affairs in Middle Earth during the film.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Basic Black, Handsome Hunter, Going Gray
Stamp Sets: It's Your Birthday, Lovely Letters
Ink: Basic Gray, Silver, Going Gray (for distressing)
Accessories: Chocolate Chip 1/4" grosgrain (retired), Pewter Hodgepodge, Cutter Kit, dimensionals
Show watched while creating: Fellowship of course! (am I sounding like a broken record yet?)

2 comments:

Zarna said...

Is your dad a leatherman kind of guy too?
My dad's trusty leatherman got my mother freed when she got trapped in a toilet in vietnam lol

Sankari W. said...

LOVE it - love that background - love the belt buckle!!! and that quote is totally perfect - and I think handsome hunter --- is ooolala deliciously a name that fits him PERFECTLY!!! YUM!!! (oh, sorry - getting a wee bit carried away by Aragorn love over here... thankfully my husband understands!!! LOL!)

beautiful Carol -can't wait to see the next one!!! ITs like Christmas -- every day there is a new card to the series!! HOW AWESOME!!!

xo
Sankari :)