Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Shaelea's Birthday Card

Yesterday was Shaelea's birthday, so for the last few days I have been working on her card, another castle one - this one being based on the castle in the latest Barbie movie (though I made this pinker for Shaelea). I took quite a few liberties with the back row, there was just so many darn turrets and little things I simplified that a lot but it's still quite effective.
Construction was much the same as Hogwarts, using textured cardstock and making one side of the concertina fold longer than the other to push the castle more upright. One thing I did differently for this one compared to the previous two (the other being the Beauty and the Beast castle) was to use the double rectangle punch for the battlements and to punch windows into the castle walls and cover them from behind... trying to attach all those fiddly little windows so they are straight is tricky! I did the Beauty and the Beast roses along the outside castle wall because I couldn't think of an easy way to do the fountains.
Here is the card folded up so you can see how the concertina folds stager. This one also fits in a 15cm square envelope.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: textured Pink Pirouette, textured Regal Rose, Basic Gray, Certainly Celery, Creamy Caramel
Stamps: none
Inks: Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery
Accessories: 1" circle punch, Word Window punch, horizontal slot punch, double rectangle punch, cutter kit, daubers, Certainly Celery marker, Regal Rose marker.

12 comments:

Madonna said...

Carol it's gorgeous!!! Just lovely! So much work involved...it must have taken ages!! Also sending wishes for a very happy birthday to Shaelea!!

Kim Tonnet said...

Happy Birthday Shaelea. OMG on the card, it is fantastic, what a work of art. Well done. Love KimT

Karen said...

oh my looooooooordy me!! Carol - this is just BEAUTIFUL!! I reckon you earned yourself a million mother of the year points with that little beautiful! Great job!

Karen
x

Karen said...

Just me again - I couldnt focus on my typing after seeing that card! lol

My last sentence was meant to say......I reckon you earned yourself a million mother of the year points with that beautiful little creation! lol

Karen
x

grammie jackie said...

Everyone has already said it...gorgeous. This castle is fantastic; what a lot of work.
I just stopped by to see how things are going. I've been missing you at Cinema Saturday. I'm glad to hear the soot is cleaned up.

Jackie W

Petronela said...

Wow Carol this is amazing! Bet Shaelea was excited when she saw it.

Val said...

Wonderful card Carol, lots of work but the outcome is outstanding, Beautiful

Night Owl Designs said...

Wow, another masterpiece Carol! Love the pink :-) Congrats too on your mistletoe cards in CSP.

Tracy said...

am in awe Carol! I feel so ashamed now of not making my kids birthday cards.....note to self....be like Carol!!! Where on earth did you get the idea from?

Ness said...

OW Carol....a seriously impressive card......I'm sure Shaelea just adored it!

Nancy K said...

Carol, your castles are amazing and I think this one is just the tops! I'm afraid to show my daughter this, but it's too gorgeous not to share. :) Hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday and hope all is well with you!!

Diane Barnes said...

Every time I see your castle cards, I am just gobsmacked....in a really good way :0) Totally totally amazing....& wow!
Inky wishes, Di