Thursday, April 30, 2015

Butterflies Suncatcher

I promised I would share something from Stampin' Up! Convention and here it is, a suncatcher made with the Butterflies thinlits dies!

I've had this idea kicking around in my head since I made the Rainbow Butterflies cards. I wanted to come up with something that had a similar effect, but a lot simpler to put together - I understand not everyone likes jigsaws! I thought of colouring the sections with ink pretty quickly, and it didn't take long after that to think that such an design would be more effective off a card where light could shine through it. When I didn't find time to try it out straight away, and while separately trying to come up with something I could make for Convention I realised the simple answer was to "kill" two butterflies with one project.  The method I decided on was the back the black cardstock with Adhesive Sheets before cutting the butterflies out. For the vellum I used the negative of the butterflies to trace inside the cut-out onto vellum. To ensure none of the vellum would be exposed on the outer edge I also cut inside the line... which was a good idea since the butterflies aren't actually symetrical so they don't line up perfectly. Luckily you can't see this from a distance. I chose to colour the vellum before sticking it to the black to ensure there wasn't any halo where the marker couldn't reach, but after mass-producing these I really don't know that that was necessary. With the butterflies not being symetrical you have to colour a much larger area than you need (especially when colouring the first side) and I often ended up having to touch up spots.

I think this would look as effective with a tealight candle so I am hoping to tackle that idea when I get back from Convention.

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

No comments: