Sunday, October 05, 2008

7 Loves of Card Making - Colour

I don't think it is any secret that my favourite colour is purple. But for todays card I thought I would give myself a challenge: instead of just using any purple (in which case I probably would have used Almost Amethyst or Lavender Lace AGAIN), I decided to challenge myself to make something using my least used purple, Elegant Eggplant. I don't have a problem with Elegant Eggplant, I just never seem to use it. I then started thinking about what other colours I could use with it, if there was some already exsisting colour combination that could inspire me. I suddenly thought of the Melbourne Storm. Since they're playing in the NRL grand final tonight I thought it would be very appropriate to make a card based on their team colours. It didn't take long for me to think of using these colours in a Zindorf style and using the cute little owl from Celebrate Everyday. I actually made two versions of this card, the only difference being what size the moon is, I couldn't decide before hand which would look best and as it has turned out both look fine. I was very happy with how all the brayering came out too, being the first time I have tried this technique.

So now I pose the same challenge to you: create a card using purple (as a significant portion of the card, one little brad doesn't count!), and if you normally use purple a lot try to use a shade that you normally don't use. Put a link to your card in the comments for this post and at the end of the week I'll pick my favourite one and send a little something to that person. Australian residents only, SU! demos welcome.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: Orchid Opulence, Night of Navy, Summer Sun, Whisper White, watercolour paper
Stamp Sets: Celebrate Everyday, Spring Solitude
Inks: StazOn Jet Black, Basic Black; Orchid Opulence, Elegant Eggplant, Night of Navy, Summer Sun for brayering and watercolouring
Accesories: aquapainter, brayer, Fire Circle Rhinestone brads, word window punch, round tab punch (for masking)
Show watched while creating: Bones

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Carol,

I think I am gonna have to take you up on this challenge! My desk is now clear from Kristinas challenge, so I will give yours a try! I NEVER USE PURPLE! LOL

Karen
xo

Lin Mei said...

Amazing card, Carol! Love the brayering and the composition and, of course, the colours.

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous Carol!

Night Owl Designs said...

Such a great card, one of you best Carol!