Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cinema Saturday #27

This weeks movie over at Cinema Saturday is The Lion King, and I am lucky enough to be guest designer!

The Lion King has been a long-time favourite for me, so I was thrilled when asked to be guest designer for it. I was about 18 when I first saw TLK, and initially thought "urgh, a kids movie?" but Timon & Pumbaa won me over, particularly with their distraction of the hyenas during the fight to regain Pride Rock. I'll quite often start singing this at random, and have got my kids hooked on it too - so this just had to be the scene I was going to base my card on.

While my sister has both a realistic meerkat stamp and some Lion King stamps I decided that nothing would really satisfy me, I had to have a big Timon in "drag"... I merged a few images in Photoshop, printed them out and then cut out the various sections for templates to create a paper-pieced Timon. The flower was created with bits and pieces from the Pretties Kit, the skirt is a lot of frayed Old Olive grosgrain ribbon and the lei is a whole heap of Trio Flower punchies. I had no idea what I was going to do for the background until my new catty order arrived with it's Urban Garden paper... this pattern reminded me of the "I just can't wait to be king" scene, where Simba pokes his head through a bunch of long grassy stuff to make it look like he has a bigger mane. I finally squeezed some stamping in with "luau", clear embossed on Bali Breeze paper, cut out and edged with a Basic Black marker.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: Orchid Opulence, Naturals Ivory, Creamy Caramel, Whisper White
Stamp Set: Big Deal
Inks: VersaMark
Accessories: Basic Black marker, Chocolate Chip marker, Close to Cocoa marker, Tangerine Tango "marker", Rose Red marker, Regal Rose marker, Summer Sun marker, Pretties kit, Old Olive 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, Urban Garden DSP, Bali Breeze DSP, clear embossing powder, sticky strip
Show watched while creating: The Lion King

11 comments:

Sankari W. said...

I love your Timon card!! And wow - what awesome details: an Old Olive ribbon frayed skirt, the Pretties for the lei and that beautiful new Urban paper for the bakcground... seriously beautiful Carol!!! You always are such a dear inspiration!!! Sending you big hugs and a cuppa!!!

Cheers!!
Thank you again for bein our GD!!!!

xoxo Sankari )

Anthonette said...

I love what you did to Timon! This card is SO fun. Great job, Carol! Have a good one.

Jaimee said...

Carol this is just soo good!! i love iot so much, must have taken you an age to make!
i just laugh so hard at your qoute
"nothing will satifiy me but Timon in drag!"..would make a good bumper sticker ! lol lol

Angela Sargeant said...

Love it! You're so clever Carol :D

Sarah-Jane Kalé said...

Fabulous card Carol.

xx Sarah

Kristie said...

OMG! This is just amazing Carol!!! I love the Lion King...when it first came out I won tickets to go to a preview in Brisbane and so my sister (not Mad, the other one) and I went along...we were the only adults with out children in tow in the entire theatre...but I think we loved it even more than the kids :) Your card is just perfect and absolutely spectacular! It must have taken forever to get all that gorgeous detail in, but it was worth it for sure. Love, love, love it ♥♥♥

Debbie Pamment said...

WOW - this brings back some fun memories of this movie - it was the first movie in a cinema we ever took our daughter too!!
Your card is truly amazing!!
xXx

Anonymous said...

CAROL this is beyond good! WOW is all I can say........I have never seen anything so creative! Beautiful! Hugs~Donna

Pam S said...

That's so cute!!!! I love the way you used flower punchies to make the lei. Timon looks hilarious in "drag". Love your card! :)

Ann said...

Could this be any cuter?! LOVE it!

Natasha said...

Fantastic Carol - Timon is such a legend, I have this pose in a Walt Disney Collectables piece