Saturday, August 15, 2015

Peaceful Pines Sneak Peek

On September 1st Stampin' Up! will be launching this years Holiday Catalogue, and to whet your appetite here is a card featuring some products you will be able to order once September arrives.
There are so many gorgeous items in this catalogue it's almost hard to know where to start! For today's card I have used the Peaceful Pines stamp set, which you can buy on it's own or bundled at a discount with the coordinating framelits dies. There are eight tree images in the set, with 3 different sized dies to cut them out, along with a number of accessories to go with the trees. I've been hankering to use the Striped Scallop die, so I decided to pair it with one of the tree images that also featured scallops. I stamped the tree on shimmery white cardstock using VersaMark ink then embossed it in silver. After cutting the tree out, I watercoloured the scallops with my aquapainter by picking up the ink from the lid of the inkpads. If you've never watercoloured like this before, it may surprise you how some colours come out. Depending on how the ink is made up, you may find you get quite a variation in colour from a single ink. In this card, the Sahara Sand ink has come out with quite a green tinge.

To create my background I used the Striped Scallop die but instead of layering the cardstock on top of a cutting plate before putting it into the Big Shot, I used the crease pad to emboss the cardstock rather than cut it. I had actually forgotten I had even purchased it until recently, so I'm keen to make up for lost time and use it quite a bit to turn dies into embossing folders. Of course the direction I wanted the scallops to go meant I had to reposition the die after embossing part of the card to emboss the rest of it. Having the reverse of the cardstock facing up (that is, the opposite side to where the die was pressing into the cardstock) helps to hide when you don't line things up perfectly.

As is pretty standard for me, I used non-traditional colours in this Christmas card:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

No comments: