Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cinema Saturday #14 part 2 - The Ringbearer

In my previous post I mentioned that I had done the LOTR costume thing (see exhibit A & B), so it probably comes as no surprise that when it comes to these movies, I'm highly inspired by the costumes. Translating a costume to papercraft means sacrificing a few costuming guidelines (largely accuracy wink), but for most of my cards this week I have used costumes for basic inspiration, so very few will look as close to the original piece as the Legolas card. This card, for example, is inspired by Frodo, but you probably wouldn't pick it straight away.

The earthy colours are drawn from Frodo's costume, his Really Rust vest, Always Artichoke cloak and reddish-brown coat (I used Ruby Red because it's the closest colour in some shots). The velvet Close To Cocoa does kind of match part of his costume, but I had to include something furry for the hobbity foot hair biggrin . With eyes like Elijah's I'd have to include bright blue somewhere, hence the turquoise rhinestone brad. The Bashful Blue punched star is for the phial Galadriel gives to Frodo, which contains the "Light of Earendil, our most beloved star"). And of course, the gold rim of the metal-edged tag (paper inner removed) is for the Ring. I chose this sentiment for a number of reasons, there are a few of Boromir's lines regarding both Frodo and the Ring that remind me of this but over-all I think it sums Frodo up pretty well, to carry out this task when it has been the ruin of so many others is a marvel.

Now I must confess that while I have watched Fellowship countless times and coveted many of the costumes, I wasn't as familiar with Frodo's so I did reference Alley Cat Scratch for description and detail images, so if you are feeling a little stuck for ideas take a wander through the Character pages over there biggrin . Alley Cat is where I went to for tips when making my own costumes, and through them I have become quite a stickler for detail when it comes to the costumes... so much so that this card is "to scale"... it is Halfling sized, being 2x3", about half the height of a standard card. At the end of the week I'll have to post a photo of all my Fellowship member cards so you can see the scales biggrin

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: Ruby Red, Really Rust, Bashful Blue, Confetti White
Stamp set: So Many Sayings
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: large star punch, Word Window punch, Ice Circle Rhinestone brad, gold metal edged tag (retired), Theater Ribbon Originals, mini glue dots, dimensionals
Show watched while creating: Fellowship of course!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Wow Carol, your cards are just blowing me away lately :)

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Ooooo I love how the sentiment comes off the card & just gorgeous.

Sam said...

Love the cleans lines of this card Carol. The colours work very well together.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed description too.

Best wishes,
Sam.

Savitri said...

This is sooo cute! Love your card!